It has been a great great while since I have done any of Berry’s Memes, so this week I am back as I am trying to get myself out of the funk I have been in.
This week Berry asks 20 different questions and here are my answers:
“Meme instructions: Answer the following 20 personal questions about your Second Life. Don’t forget to share a link to your post in the comments!”
- When and how did you discover Second Life? – It was in Sept 2006, I read an article about it in a newspaper of magazine.
- Did you know about virtual worlds before or was this your first experience with them? – I had no idea, I knew about games online, I remember cause my brother’s best friend was addicted to Diablo 2 and we had a Nintendo at home. That was it really.
- Has Second Life met your expectations? – I did not expect much, though Orientation island was a mess and I was so confused. But after meeting people some of which I am still very good friends with in RL now, I figured it was alright.
- If you could teleport back to the first ten minutes of your avatar’s slife, what would you tell yourself? – Tp out of Orientation Island and off to Phantom now woman!
- How long did it take you to master avatar flying and driving vehicles inworld? – Flying was easy, as for vehicles, well let’s say it was interesting lag was always there to ruin the fun. I think I have a sports car and a bike in my inventory but I have not used them in years!
- Do you have a mystery alt? – I do have one that I have never used, gave it to a friend of mine for a while but that was it.
- Is your SL avatar a reflection of you, or someone you wished you could be? – Personality wise, just like Berry I am me, it is too exhausting to RP or pretend tbh. With me, what you see if what you get personality wise. As for the body, well I did try to base Angel’s face on mine and the body is a much improved version of me. Let us be honest I could never be 7 feet tall and that skinny!
- Is there an individual you met in SL that inspired you in your RL? How? – I dont think anyone inpired me per say, but it made me realise that I was really what I would refer to as a decent human being compared to the creeps or weirdos you meet. It was more eye opening than anything else.
- Do you feel it is easier to create stronger bonds/relationships with people you meet inworld as opposed to the real world? – I used to think quite naively that others in SL were like me, just having fun, until well you get stabbed in the back or get constantly lied to. Some very strong bonds were created and proof of that is my bestie whom I met pretty much my first week in SL and has become in RL also my cruise partner. With him and others it was easy, but SL made me more guarded in RL and in world too these recent years. I don’t get friendly with people as easily anymore.
- Did you ever imagine or believe people could fall in love with someone they never met before Second Life? – Yes, it happened to me back ages ago over IRC. SL put a “body” to the chat, I used to say SL was a glorified chat.
- How has your perspective of dating changed (or not) since you started playing second life? – Men! Can’t live with them… can’t shoot them! I can in SL though… my dating life has never been a grand success, someone broke my heart badly in SL, but there is someone now I care about and we take it really easy. Both our schedules are nuts. So when we hang out it’s great.
- How has your perspective of employment changed (or not) since you started playing second life? – It has, I was able to add to my CV (resume) my old projects and collaborations. After all, and nothing to do with SL but I am writing my MBA dissertation on Virtual Teams. That says it all.
- Name three things in both your lives that overlap each other significantly. – Creativity, Friendships, Learning new skills
- If you could live your life more immersively in a virtual world, would you? (Kind of like the Matrix) – When I started I got addicted quickly, and after SL when I started playing WOW, I got super addicted there too. So now I make time and force myself to log only a few hours a day. Unlike before if I don’t sleep, I am a mess!
- How do you think behavior changes for people if they’re inworld vs in real world? Why do you think that is? – Just a Berry said, some people think they can be rude and mean and all downright horrid! All I can say is Karma is gonna hit them hard, cause frankly if you cannot be yourself virtually where can you be?
- How has second life consumerism changed your perception of spending habits, the value of money, the need to be “bleeding edge” with fashion? – I can safely say that I shop more in SL than in RL. in RL I make my own fashion choices. Maybe because I am french I tend to go towards timeless classic that never go out of fashion and can be worn over the years without sticking out. Edgy fashion is great, and I leave that to SL where it is “cheaper”
- Do you think virtual worlds like SL drive and redefine human interaction or do they narrow and limit it? – SL did change things for all of its users, but as to make a global impact I am not quite sure. We are depending on our tech more and more every day. I find it kinda funny that now people cannot live without sharing with the world every thought that goes through their heads. Frankly, that annoys the crap out of me. I think we are in a period where we are learning to use all these tools at our disposal, but we will be making HUGE mistakes and hopefully the coming generations won’t be making too much fun of us.
- If technology progressed tomorrow to allow you to send emotions to people the way you’d send text or voice messages, would it enrich your SL experience or infringe on it? – That I am not sure how to answer, I will need to ponder it further!
- Name three skills you attribute to having learned or honed in second life alone. – Photoshop, Photography, InDesign
- If your grand kids googled your Second Life Avatar’s name, would they be intrigued, disgusted, proud or something else? – If my blog is still up and about maybe they would be keen to ask questions and see what I was up to back in the old days.
What I am wearing:
- -Glam Affair – Lulu ( America ) 01 D
- tram C407 hair / cork (size40)
- DN Mesh: Bubba Romper
- 22769 ~ [accessories] Circles Necklace Orange Platinum @ L’accessories started on May 15th
- Ingenue :: Sophia Heels (Slink Add-On) :: Sand